The committee's purpose is to improve and protect multifamily housing and renters rights through grassroots organizing, and to involve more residents who rent in their neighborhood organization. Through this committee's organizing, CNO has become a founding member of Minneapolis Renters Coalition.
Who can participate and vote? Residents who rent in Corcoran neighborhood. We define renters as anyone paying rent or seeking to pay rent but may not have the resources to do so. This separation from homeowner residents is needed to ensure that the committee is controlled by renters, who are the most impacted based on the committee’s purpose.
Current Priorities of the Renters Committee: (adopted by CNO Board on 3/12/15)
- Foster energy efficiency and fair utility billing in multifamily housing.
- Ensure common repairs are made while advocating for raising livability standards in the City’s Housing Maintenance Code
- Make housing standards, renters’ rights transparent, legible and actionable, and reform the multifamily inspections process to be more accountable to renters.
- Equip renters and landlords to eliminate bedbugs and address mold concerns.
- Support renters rights broadly throughout the neighborhood and champion renter organizing in other neighborhoods.
For more information and questions about the committee, contact Corcoran at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-724-7457.