The Corcoran News seeks volunteer voices reflecting Corcoran’s diversity to engage and equip our neighbors to better understand, improve, and protect the unique character of our neighborhood.
Since 1985, The Corcoran News neighborhood newspaper has been hand-delivered monthly to every Corcoran household and business.
Contribute! Corcoran volunteers produce the content of The Corcoran News:
- Articles, opinion, monthly columns, and event information
- Artwork and photographs
- Editing and layout expertise
Goals and Priority of Content
The Corcoran News aims to publish first the original work of at least 10 Corcoran residents each month concerning issues, ideas, and events unique to the Corcoran neighborhood and surrounding area. The News will also publish CNO meeting minutes in accordance with the CNO bylaws. With its remaining print space, The News will publish other work concerning issues and events unique to the Corcoran neighborhood and surrounding area. With its remaining print space, The News will consider other submissions. Final decisions are made by the Editor.
Share content – Find deadlines and distribution dates – Find advertising rates – The Corcoran News archive
Roles and Definitions:
Share content, advertising, and inquiries:
- Editor. The Newspaper Chair is Editor on behalf of the CNO Board and makes final decisions on content and layout; leads efforts to recruit new contributors and identify partners; helps recruit advertisers; and shares with staff a prominent role in monthly production.
- Publisher. The CNO Board is Publisher of The Corcoran News; appoints the Newspaper Chair and helps recruit participation and advertisers; and furnishes monthly input and feedback to the Newspaper Chair on previous and upcoming editions based on Goals and Priority of Content, below.
- Staff role. CNO staff coordinates publication working with the Editor, contributors, partners, and advertisers; ensures timely production and delivery; helps recruit new contributors and engage partners; leads efforts to recruit advertisers; and does not produce significant content for The News.
- Contributors are resident volunteers who produce one or more articles, monthly columns, photographs, artwork, or opinion ("Content"). Contributors also make layout decisions. Contributors are under no obligation to produce content in service of the ideas or policies of the CNO board or staff or the Editor. Regular contributors are encouraged by CNO staff and board members to consider serving as future Newspaper Chair.
- Partners are the residents, churches, organizations, and agencies located in or serving the Corcoran neighborhood from which The News actively seeks content for publication.
- For-profit businesses help support The Corcoran News by purchasing paid print space. The News welcomes one promotional article per year on a Corcoran business if written by a neighborhood volunteer with no affiliation to the business. All other submissions by a business are subject to advertising costs.
The Corcoran News archive
Recent editions are available in PDF format below. To view paper archives of The Corcoran News going back to October 1985 (Volume 1, Edition 1), stop in the CNO office.