If you missed it, the event Open Streets Minneapolis transformed East Lake Street on August 2 for a day of walking, biking and community building. During the event, CNO’s Land Use & Housing committee focused on the Hiawatha and Lake intersection in partnership with the Midtown Farmers Market, Longfellow Community Council, Sierra Club and Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition.
We collected over 500 postcards in support of a safer Hiawatha & Lake Street for people walking, biking, taking transit & driving. Safety can be improved by:
- Simplify and shorten pedestrian crossings
- Add dedicated bike lanes at Lake Street crossing
- Eliminate free right turns for vehicles
- Improve lighting, signage, and signal timings for bikes and pedestrians
- Convert empty open spaces to allow for productive and positive uses
- Explore alternate routes for highway entrance and exits