Businesses are a key aspect to a strong neighborhood. Recognizing this, Corcoran Neighborhood is refocusing time and resources on businesses in Corcoran. CNO has established an Economic Development Committee, which is cultivating a fully-occupied and stable real estate environment through strategic support and collaboration with property and business owners.
With Neighborhood Development Center, CNO is offering entrepreneurs in Corcoran and South Minneapolis the opportunity to be a part of a 12 week class to learn the basics about running a business: business planning, financing, marketing, operations, and more! f you have a small business that you want to expand or would like to start one, this class may be for you! Stay tuned for information on the next class. Contact Vanessa Haight for more information: email@example.com or 612-724-7457.
Storefront Improvement Matching Grant Program
The Corcoran Neighborhood Organization has launched a storefront improvement program to support storefront businesses by providing matching funds for small physical improvements. CNO will match 25% to 50% of eligible projects (up to $500 in matching funds) for businesses within the Corcoran neighborhood boundaries. Please see attached application for criteria and more information. Questions? Contact Vanessa Haight at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-724-7457.
Economic Development Committee Priorities
After a year of research, discussion, and planning, the Economic Development Committee has approved the following long term and short term priorities (adopted by CNO Board 5/12/16):
Short Term Priorities (2016-2017)
- Build and leverage relationships with stakeholders, including Community Development Corporations,
- Business Associations, and other relevant partner organizations.
- Solidify our relationships with businesses in Corcoran.
- Increase community member engagement with and support of neighborhood businesses.
- Recruit retail businesses for 2225 East Lake Street.
- Enliven/cultivate the 23 rd Avenue and 35 th Street node.
Long Term Priorities (2018-2020)
- Improve street presence and curb appeal of Corcoran businesses.
- Provide ongoing support to retail businesses at 2225 E Lake Street.
- Support business networking and collaboration between Corcoran businesses.
- Provide technical assistance to Midtown Farmers Market vendors.
- Secure long-term funding and staffing for Economic Development.
For more information and questions about the committee, contact Vanessa Haight at email@example.com or 612-724-7457. The Committee Chair from the CNO Board of Directors is Matt Kazinka